Install Tile Backerboard
Eight steps to install concrete-core backerboard and fiber-cement backerboard.
There are two common types of tile backerboard, concrete core and fiber cement — installation is the same for both:
- Begin with a flat wall with studs spaced no more than 16-inches apart.
- Then, fir out all the studs to bring them in line the flange on the tub or shower base.
- Next, install blocking where horizontal seams will land — and place 1/4-in. spacers to create a gap between the base and the backer board.
- To cut backer board, score with a utility knife — and snap.
- Edges can be cleaned up with a drywall rasp.
- To fasten, use high quality 1-1/4-in. corrosion resistant backer board screws specifically designed for this application.
- Fasteners are installed no more than 8 in. apart — and kept 3/8 in. from the edges and 2 in. away from corners.
- Finally, use backer board screws as spacers between panels to create an 1/8-in. expansion gap as you cut and fit the remaining panels.