Podcast Episode 98 — How Good Is Good Enough?
Framing, windows, workshop flooring, roof vents, and more.
Justin, Rob, and Brian tackle reader feedback in this episode of the FHB Podcast, starting with Instagram response to our Golden Rules of Framing, and especially to the follow-up “rules” submitted to us by framing expert John Spier. The guys talk about one particular social media post that generated a lot of heat: what are the tolerances you shoot for, and how good is good enough? Plus, social media sure is something else, amirite?
The guys also talk about energy efficiency for replacement windows.
Listener Barton says, “I very much enjoyed Justin’s appearance on Shop Talk Live #153.” After the obvious flattery, Barton asks about workshop floors, and floors and subflooring in general.
We hope you will take advantage of a great offer for our podcast listeners: A special 20% off discounted rate to subscribe to the Fine Homebuilding print magazine. That link goes to finehomebuilding.com/podoffer.
The show is driven by our listeners, so please subscribe and rate us on iTunes or Google Play, and if you have any questions you would like us to dig into for a future show, shoot an email our way: firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to follow Justin Fink, Rob Yagid, and Fine Homebuilding on Instagram — and “like” the magazine on Facebook. Note that you can watch the show above, or on YouTube at the Fine Homebuilding YouTube Channel.
The Fine Homebuilding Podcast embodies Fine Homebuilding magazine’s commitment to the preservation of craftsmanship and the advancement of home performance in residential construction. The show is an informal but vigorous conversation about the techniques and principles that allow listeners to master their design and building challenges.
Here are a few links related to this podcast:
- Articles by John Spier on FineHomebuilding.com.
- 2003: 10 Rules for Framing
- 2016: 11 Golden Rules of Framing
- 2017: 10 Golden Rules of Framing
- Should I Replace My Old Windows?
- Justin’s appearance on Shop Talk Live #153.
- The No-Mold Finished Basement by longtime friend of the magazine Andy Engel.
- All FHB podcast show notes: FineHomebuilding.com/podcast.
- Fundraiser Report (We raised $15,000!) from the IBS event.
- #KeepCraftAlive tee-shirts make great holiday gifts, and the proceeds support scholarships for building trades students. So go order some shirts at KeepCraftAlive.org.