Style, Innovation, and Performance Are Key in Bathroom Design
Tips for selecting the perfect faucet and toilet.
Sponsored by American Standard
You no longer need to choose between aesthetics and performance when selecting faucets and fixtures for your residential construction needs, whether new or remodeling.
Trusted plumbing manufacturer American Standard and its luxury brand DXV let you achieve high-style, functional innovation, and water-efficient performance through its comprehensive collection of distinctive bathroom pieces. With lines ranging from traditional to transitional to contemporary, American Standard and DXV appeal to consumers’ varying design preferences.
Driven by their mission to make life healthier, safer, and more beautiful, American Standard and DXV offer product choices suited to your lifestyle needs and the elevated building standards embodied in this Fine Homebuilding ProHome.
How to Choose a Bathroom Faucet
Often called the jewelry of the bathroom, a striking faucet can set the tone for the room’s décor. The exquisite linear design of the Berwick single-control monoblock faucet reflects refined precision while providing high performance and ease of use in the ProHome master bath. This statuesque model features key elements to look for in a bathroom faucet:
- Water-saving performance with a 1.2 gallons per minute (gpm) flow rate, which is WaterSense-certified for using 45 percent less water than standard 2.2 gpm faucets;
- Use of a pressure-compensating aerator that delivers a strong water flow, while conserving water at the same time;
- A single handle model that allows for accessible operation for all ages and mobility levels, without any turning of knobs. A two-handle widespread faucet – like the sleekly contemporary Studio high-arc bath faucet featuring lever handles – is equally as easy to manage;
- Durability attributes like washerless ceramic disc valves for a lifetime of drip-free performance;
- Sturdy metal body construction for years of reliable operation;
- Easy installation features like the American Standard-exclusive Speed Connect drain, which includes only four parts with a drain and lift rod that install quickly and never need adjusting;
- High-arc spout design – displayed in the stoic, yet graceful, lines of the Serin widespread faucet in ProHome’s second floor bathroom – allows for easy accessibility and less bending to reach the water flow.
How to Pick the Right Toilet
Whether reflecting sophisticated elegance or modern simplicity, your toilet will be the workhorse of your bathroom. Homeowners can enjoy stylish design, while demanding reliable and superior performance. Here are key features you want for optimum, maintenance-free operation:
- A forceful flush that can deliver maximum waste removal. The American Standard-exclusive PowerWash bowl cleaning technology in the classically-fashioned Town Square FloWise toilet provides a quiet, yet powerful, flush that scrubs the bowl with pressurized water from the rim to remove every last trace of paper and waste.
- The highest bulk removal score (1,000 grams) on the Maximum Performance (MaP) test, an independent report of toilet performance. The toilets from American Standard and DXV in the ProHome can successfully flush 1,000 grams (2.2 pounds) of waste while using a water-saving 1.28 gallons per flush (gpf).
- High efficiency rating for powerful flushability using only 1.28 gallons of water, which is WaterSense-certified for providing high performance while using 20 percent less water than standard toilet models;
- Features that provide super simple maintenance, such as EverClean, the antimicrobial finish that inhibits the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew on the surface, helping the toilet stay cleaner, longer;
- Concealed trapway styling (the toilet bowl base has straight, smooth sides), along with one-piece construction, that allow for cleaning with ease. The DXV Wyatt one-piece elongated toilet is a distinguished example of this in the ProHome powder room.
- A taller, ADA-compliant 16 ½-inch Right Height bowl that is comfortable, like sitting on a chair. Plus, an elongated bowl shape provides for a roomier seat and additional comfort.
For more than 140 years, American Standard has exuded a passion about plumbing and the bigger problems it can solve. Together with DXV, it continues to raise the standard for smart, innovative products that improve the quality of everyday life.