previous
  • Magazine Departments
    Magazine Departments
  • 7 Smart Kitchen Solutions
    7 Smart Kitchen Solutions
  • Hot Water Now
    Hot Water Now
  • Custom Flooring Inspiration
    Custom Flooring Inspiration
  • Basement Remodeling Tips
    Basement Remodeling Tips
  • Classic Cabinets
    Classic Cabinets
  • Read FHB on Your iPad
    Read FHB on Your iPad
  • 7 Small Bathroom Layouts
    7 Small Bathroom Layouts
  • Clever daily tip in your inbox
    Clever daily tip in your inbox
  • Radiant Heat Comparison
    Radiant Heat Comparison
  • Pro Tool Rental. Learn More.
    Pro Tool Rental. Learn More.
  • Remodeling Articles
    Remodeling Articles
  • 7 Trim Carpentry Secrets
    7 Trim Carpentry Secrets
  • 9 Concrete Countertops Ideas
    9 Concrete Countertops Ideas
  • Video: Install a Fence
    Video: Install a Fence
  • Video Series: Tile a Bathroom
    Video Series: Tile a Bathroom
  • Tips & Techniques for Painting
    Tips & Techniques for Painting
  • All about Roofing
    All about Roofing
  • Design Inspiration
    Design Inspiration
  • Master Carpenter Videos
    Master Carpenter Videos
  • Energy-Smart Details
    Energy-Smart Details
next
Pin It

Fixing a sheet-flooring bubble

I had installed a Marmoleum floor, but after several weeks, a bubble formed where the glue hadn’t held. I didn’t want to cut an access slit for additional mastic, but the bubble was a good 2 ft. from the nearest wall. It occurred to me that I might gain access by removing the heat register, then prying up the flooring all the way to the bubble.

As shown in the drawing above, I pried up the flooring next to the heating duct, then inserted a length of nonmetallic sheathed cable to plow a path the rest of the way to the bubble. Then I pulled the wires out of the cable sheathing. That left met with a long, flexible tube, which I taped to the end of a turkey baster filled with flooring mastic. I used this to force the viscous glue into the bubble and continued applying it as I pulled the sheathing back out. Then I used a 100-lb. flooring roller to smooth out the Marmoleum.