• 9 Concrete Countertop Ideas
    9 Concrete Countertop Ideas
  • Install a Vinyl Privacy Fence
    Install a Vinyl Privacy Fence
  • Basement Remodeling Tips
    Basement Remodeling Tips
  • 7 Trim Carpentry Secrets
    7 Trim Carpentry Secrets
  • Master Carpenter Videos
    Master Carpenter Videos
  • Remodeling Articles
    Remodeling Articles
  • Magazine Departments
    Magazine Departments
  • Clever daily tip in your inbox
    Clever daily tip in your inbox
  • Tips & Techniques for Painting
    Tips & Techniques for Painting
  • 7 Smart Kitchen Solutions
    7 Smart Kitchen Solutions
  • Video Series: Tile a Bathroom
    Video Series: Tile a Bathroom
  • 7 Small Bathroom Layouts
    7 Small Bathroom Layouts
  • Energy-Smart Details
    Energy-Smart Details
  • All about Roofing
    All about Roofing
  • Design Inspiration
    Design Inspiration
  • Deck Design & Construction
    Deck Design & Construction
  • Read FHB on Your iPad
    Read FHB on Your iPad

Editor's Notepad

Editor's Notepad

Was sind diese Dinge? (What are these things?)

comments (5) July 23rd, 2010 in Blogs
DonBurgard Don Burgard, Copy editor

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 1Click To Enlarge

Photo 1


On a recent trip to Germany to visit my sister and her family, I found myself paying a lot more attention to the construction and design details of her home than I did when I visited her elsewhere in Germany four years earlier—that is, back when I wasn't working for Fine Homebuilding. Having recently copyedited Martin Holladay's article "Do Europeans Really Make the Best Windows?" (FHB #213) I was especially interested in the tightly fit, double-glazed, tilt-turn windows throughout the house. But I had to scratch my head when I saw the four "accessories" pictured here.

The two pictured in photo 1 are attached to the wall tile about 2 ft. above the counter. The ones in photo 2 are attached to the end of the floor cabinet just under the countertop. The cut-outs on the faces suggest that they are meant for holding specific kitchen utensils. But the faces on the ones in photo 1 bend and form a lip on the bottom that would block a utensil with a handle longer than an inch or so.

I snapped these photos hoping that managing editor Deb Silber might have seen something like this at a kitchen and bath show, but she was baffled too. If any of you have an idea of what these could be, I promise to lift my next glass of Hefeweizen in your honor.


posted in: Blogs, kitchen
Back to List

Comments (5)

DonBurgard DonBurgard writes: Thanks to all four of you for enlightening me on the purpose of these things. I'm grateful to know what they are, and I'm sure my sister will be happy to start using them. "Cheers" to everyone—or as the Germans would say, "Prost!"
Posted: 9:25 am on July 27th

Martin_Holladay Martin_Holladay writes: Don,
This isn't one of those Germany versus America things. It's just a towel holder. When you visit other people's homes, offer to do the dishes next time. You'll see them.
Posted: 8:50 am on July 27th

Dreamcatcher Dreamcatcher writes:
Posted: 7:29 am on July 27th

Guy_K Guy_K writes: They are towel holders. You take a corner of a towel or wash cloth, stick it in the hole and slide it down into the groove. The way the groove gets smaller causes the towel to get kind of "wedged" into the slot. You lift it straight up to release it. Probably not as exciting as you hoped, huh?
Posted: 1:34 pm on July 26th

ndplume ndplume writes: towel "hook" = tuchhaken
Posted: 11:06 am on July 24th

Log in or create a free account to post a comment.