HUD to require green-building compliance in hurricane zone - Fine Homebuilding
  • 7 Smart Kitchen Solutions
    7 Smart Kitchen Solutions
  • Video: Install a Fence
    Video: Install a Fence
  • Read FHB on Your iPad
    Read FHB on Your iPad
  • Energy-Smart Details
    Energy-Smart Details
  • Design Inspiration
    Design Inspiration
  • Master Carpenter Videos
    Master Carpenter Videos
  • Clever daily tip in your inbox
    Clever daily tip in your inbox
  • Remodeling Articles
    Remodeling Articles
  • Tips & Techniques for Painting
    Tips & Techniques for Painting
  • Radiant Heat Comparison
    Radiant Heat Comparison
  • Basement Remodeling Tips
    Basement Remodeling Tips
  • All about Roofing
    All about Roofing
  • 7 Trim Carpentry Secrets
    7 Trim Carpentry Secrets
  • 9 Concrete Countertops Ideas
    9 Concrete Countertops Ideas
  • Magazine Departments
    Magazine Departments
  • Ultimate Deck Build 2015
    Ultimate Deck Build 2015
  • 7 Small Bathroom Layouts
    7 Small Bathroom Layouts
  • Video Series: Tile a Bathroom
    Video Series: Tile a Bathroom



HUD to require green-building compliance in hurricane zone

comments (0) April 5th, 2013 in Blogs
ScottG Scott Gibson, contributing writer

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is giving a lift to green-building compliance in the Hurricane Sandy disaster zone.

The massive storm wiped out whole neighborhoods and caused billions in property damage when it came ashore in New Jersey in October 2012. HUD issued a notice in March that $5.4 billion in Community Development Block Grant disaster recovery funds was being made available to the hardest-hit areas in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maryland.

Among requirements HUD listed in the lengthy document was that new and reconstructed houses would have to comply with a green-building standard, says Michelle Desiderio of Home Innovation Research Labs, an arm of the National Association of Home Builders. That could include the National Green Building Standard, LEED for Homes, Energy Star, or the Enterprise Green Communities program, she said, although HUD isn't mandating any particular one.

Community Development Block Grants are allocated to governmental jurisdictions, not individuals. Homeowners seeking money to rebuild would apply to the government agency in their area that's been authorized to receive grant money.

If you want to have a look at the HUD notice in its entirety, you'll find it in the Federal Register.



posted in: Blogs, green building

Comments (0)

Log in or create a free account to post a comment.