Episode 29: Cellulose in the Attic, Shaker Sensibility
Brian, Rob, and Justin are amazed at builder Mike Guertin’s clever trick for tackling the cheek wall of a cross gable.
In this episode, host Justin Fink talks with Rob Yagid and Brian Pontolilo about attics and insulation — including Brian’s project prepping his attic for insulation and then blowing in the cellulose. Brian, Rob, and Justin are amazed at builder Mike Guertin’s clever trick for tackling the cheek wall of a cross-gable. Plus the guys discuss simple Shaker design and listener questions. The show is driven by our listeners, so please subscribe and rate us on iTunes or Google Play, and if you have any questions you would like us to dig into for a future show, shoot an email our way: email@example.com. Also, be sure to follow Justin Fink, Rob Yagid, and Fine Homebuilding on Instagram, and like the magazine on Facebook.
The Fine Homebuilding Podcast embodies Fine Homebuilding magazine’s commitment to the preservation of craftsmanship and the advancement of home performance in residential construction. The show is an informal but vigorous conversation about the techniques and principles that allow listeners to master their design and building challenges.
- What’s the Best Attic Insulation?
- Two Ways to Insulate Attic Kneewalls
- Attic-Insulation Upgrade
- Payback Estimator: Insulation Upgrade
- Air-Sealing Can Light Safely
- Borrowing a Cellulose Blower From a Big-Box Store
- Insulating With Damp-Spray Cellulose
MIKE GUERTIN’S AMAZING ROOF-HOLE TRICK
Builder Mike Guertin left a hole in the roof of the ProHOME to work on the cheek wall of a cross-gable (pictured), while standing on a ladder on the floor of the attic. Read Mike’s ProHOME post about how he did it.
RAFE CHURCHILL — and his design philosophy combining modern amenities with the scale and aesthetics of a historic home.
- Best New Home 2016: The Architecture of Simplicity
- A Kitchen Built on Tradition
- Shaker “Simplicity”
- Design snapshot: Shaker blues
- Tiling Bathroom Walls: Windows and Niches (Video)
- A Crash Course in Roof Venting
- The “Bonfiglioli Wall”