Green Residential Construction Programs – A Comparison
Energy instructor Sharla Riead presents an overview of some of the most popular standards for building energy-efficient homes.
For this month’s virtual presentation, the Kansas City BS* and Beer discussion group is welcoming Sharla Riead of the EnergySmart Institute to explain some of the different “green” programs available in our industry to help designers and builders choose and meet standards that can help them build more sustainable, energy-efficient homes. Sharla will discuss what these programs include and why homeowners, home buyers, and builders care about these programs.
The presentation and discussion covered the following topics:
- ENERGY STAR
- LEED for Homes
- National Green Building Standard
- Zero-Energy-Ready Home
- Passive House
- Enterprise Green Communities
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency
- Summary of Current NGBS Incentives
- Federal Income Tax Credits and Other Incentives for Energy Efficiency
- Energy Efficient Mortgage: What is It and How Do I Get One?
- Fannie Mae: HomeStyle Energy Mortgage
- Green Globes (Europe-based rating system)
Presenter: Sharla Riead
Sharla Riead provides accredited training for ICC, RESNET, ENERGY STAR, and EnergySmart Contractor programs. She has been promoting energy efficiency and green building since 1979 when she started her company, Hathmore Technologies.
To download Sharla’s slideshow presentation, please click the view pdf button below.