Temporary subfloor for 2nd floor in 1.5 story platform frame farmhouse
I have a c1928 1.5 story farmhouse, approx 950 sq feet in total. Platform framed, Joists are 2×10, 16″ on center. Original subfloor is/was spaced wood planks 0.5×6″ run perpendicular to the joists. It’s only me in the house. Layout is LR/DR/KT down, 1 BA + 2 BDs up. House is in a very desireable neighborhood, last house on a dead end street and abuts a 60 acre, wooded, town park.
The previous owner had a plethora of pets (including many cats), and getting rid of the smell and allergens have been challenging to say the least. The animal residue was so bad that the HWF T&G was rotting and the subfloor (not just the HWF, but the subfloor) is stained both black and white due to the ammonia in the cat pee. It’s bad.
I have ripped up the first floor (and the 2nd floor bathroom) HWF and subfloor and replaced with Avantek w glue and screw (which I hate, too squishy underfoot, but that’s another story). My allergies are still going wild, and the remainder of the 2nd floor still needs to be done. My plan is to replace the 2nd floor subfloor (and the bottom 18″ of plaster), wait a few months to literally have the dust settle and see if my allergic reactions subside. Then, either 1 of 2 things will happen:
1. If my allergies go away, I want to finalize the architectural design plans for the renovation (which may move a few walls upstairs and down) and rebuild both subfloors with period appropriate dimensional lumber (I know, I’m crazy like that). Then, finish the renovations.
2. If my allergies don’t go away, I will need sell the house as is, as a tear down/contractor special.
During the 6 months of the ‘dust settle period’ the only thing that I plan to have in the 2 upstairs bedrooms are a queen sized bed and 2 dressers. Nothing super heavy (as most of my stuff is still in storage).
So, my actual question is: Given the short duration of the interim period, the small amount of load, the potential that the house will be a teardown (and/or redesign of the floorplan), I would prefer to remove the 2nd floor subfloor and simply tack the new subfloor into place (avoid all the extra work of blocking and glue and screw). Am I risking permanent damage to the structure?
Please know that should I decide to stay in the house, I do want to do it right in the long run….I just don’t know if it’s worth it now, because I have not finalized the final building plan and I don’t want to put in more subfloor patches should I decide to move walls. Or, waste time/money if the house really is a teardown.