Several weeks ago I wrote in about digging a French drain and finding two concrete cylinder shapes. It turned out they were the fill pipes for the oil tanks that had supposedly been decommissioned before I bought the house. Turned out that one had been done and the other just did not get drained and decommissioned. I wrote and asked ya’ll what to do and got the usual great advice.
Turns out the tank that still had oil in it had begun to leak. So the contractor wanted to so something called a risk based closure that can be done if the benzene level is below a certain level. I was pretty unhappy about and indicated I had been talking about this with a bunch of contractors across the company and that I did not think I wanted this.
They agreed to take out not only the leaking tank but also the other one. This is going to require them to take down the fence, remove sidewalk, dig up the french drain, take out the tanks and soil, refill, rebuild the drain, lay new sidewalk, and put up the fence. And they are not charging me a penny. I am so impressed. I did not even get pushy–well here in Oregon I might have been considered slightly pushy but if we were in NY, my behavior would have been exemplary for a stereotype of a sounthern woman…….well, anyway, that is mixing a lot of regional sterotypes. Anyway, thanks again guys. (I think all who responded were guys.)