1780’s Farm House
The homeowner wanted to preserve as much of the original house as possible but time had taken its toll. Powder post beetles had eaten through the hand hewn first floor beams and sills. The drystacked stone foundation had been set in clay and was no longer self supporting. Mortar in the four fireboxes, oven, and two chimneys had failed. Plaster was pulling away from the hand split wood lathe. The problems were extensive. The house had also experienced many renovations and transformations. A window, from a 1870’s renovation, has etched names of past owners and documented some of the work. During a period in the 1890’s to 1910’s, it served as a sports facility for a Victorian Hotel. It returned to residential use in 1913 and was again renovated in the 1960’s. The biggest issue was determining which of the house’s histories to recreate, and how exactingly it should be reproduced. With detailed drawings of the existing house and structure, and salvaged materials where possible, the house was reconstructed in the aesthetic of the 1780’s original with an enlarged version of the 1913’s wing.
Front elevation with three season Porch on side - all pictures taken by the Architect
Side Elevation with attached gazebo on right
White Oak Library
Recreated cooking fireplace and oven recreated - both are functional!
Kitchen with table island