Episode 38: Martin Holladay Talks Green Building (Part Two)
Insulation for basement walls and cathedral ceilings, window replacements and make-up air, and ductless mini-splits in cold climates
Continuing their conversation with green building expert Martin Holladay, FHB editors Justin Fink, Rob Yagid, and Brian Pontolilo discuss topics including GreenBuildingAdvisor.com (and its superlative builder community), insulating basement walls and cathedral ceilings, window replacements and make-up air, and ductless mini-splits in cold climates.
The show is driven by our listeners, so please subscribe and rate us on iTunes or Google Play, and if you have any questions you would like us to dig into for a future show, shoot an email our way: [email protected]. Also, be sure to follow Justin Fink, Rob Yagid, and Fine Homebuilding on Instagram — and “like” the magazine on Facebook.
The Fine Homebuilding Podcast embodies Fine Homebuilding magazine’s commitment to the preservation of craftsmanship and the advancement of home performance in residential construction. The show is an informal but vigorous conversation about the techniques and principles that allow listeners to master their design and building challenges.
Resources and links mentioned in this podcast:
- GreenBuildingAdviser’s Q&A Section
- Martin’s GBA Blog: Musings of an Energy Nerd
- How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling
- How to Insulate a Basement Wall
- Video Series: Insulate Your Basement
- Designing a Good Ventilation System
- Makeup air for venting appliances
- Video: Make Up Air For Commercial Exhaust Fans in Homes
- Relative Humidity and Makeup Air at a Tight House