About 3 years ago I put in a new sump crock and perf. pipe around the perimeter of my basement. The system has worked great, the pump runs often, but the difference was huge. About 4 months ago the switch died on the pump I installed at the changeover, a Zoeller submersible. I had a 1 yr. old upright before I switched the system out. When the submersible died, I swapped the pumps and tried to minimize how often the pump kicked on by raising the kick-on point. Now the basement has a funky sulfur smell. I think there may be bacteria or something in the stone under the slab because of the higher water level. When I manually, which I do every day or two, drain the system (takes about 15 min.) the smell pounds me in the face from the crock. Should I have the water tested (don’t even know where to go for that) or what. Not a clue
Thanks in advance
A number of us have dealt with a sulphur smell in the water system (but not in the sump) and there have been at least a few threads on that topic in the last few years . Here is a thread from last year .
96096.1 and if you do an advanced search on sulphur bacteria you may find others.