Podcast Episode 58 — Attics and Insulation
A shower of information about vermiculite — that’s a literal shower for Justin and Brian, from back before they knew what it was!
In this podcast episode, host and editor Justin Fink is joined by editorial director Rob Yagid and design editor Brian Pontolilo. Rob shares his plans and progress as he works on the unfinished attic space of his Cape Cod–style home. Here’s a photo of his project (click to enlarge):
Other topics in this podcast: A listener asks about the real value of energy efficiency, which turns out to be … well, complicated. Another listener asks about vermiculite, and whether it is really the huge and expensive problem that abatement experts describe, or just something to deal with without worry. Justin and Brian share some horror stories from back before they knew any better. Scroll down for a gallery of vermiculite photos and vermiculite links.
Another listener found this in his basement:
We also have our continuing request for listeners: We need all our fans to take our podcast feedback survey by clicking here. There’s a chance to win one of ten Amazon Echoes.
The show is driven by our listeners, so please subscribe and rate us on iTunes or Google Play, and if you have any questions you would like us to dig into for a future show, shoot an email our way: [email protected]. Also, be sure to follow Justin Fink, Rob Yagid, and Fine Homebuilding on Instagram — and “like” the magazine on Facebook. Note that you can watch the show above, or on YouTube at the Fine Homebuilding YouTube Channel. In this episode, enjoy Rob and Justin rocking matching shirts and hats! Plus, Rob and Brian swap their usual seats! We do bring the excitement on YouTube.
The Fine Homebuilding Podcast embodies Fine Homebuilding magazine’s commitment to the preservation of craftsmanship and the advancement of home performance in residential construction. The show is an informal but vigorous conversation about the techniques and principles that allow listeners to master their design and building challenges.
Resources mentioned in (or related to) this podcast episode:
- How Worried Should You Be About Asbestos in Older Homes? by Allison A. Bailes III.
- Fixing Attics With Vermiculite Insulation by Martin Holladay.
- FHB’s advice on buying a home that has vermiculite.
- How asbestos-riddled vermiculite mining destroyed the town of Libby, Mont.
- History of W.R. Grace and its corporate malfeasance regarding vermiculite.
- More on W.R. Grace, lawsuits, and bankruptcy.
- Matt Risinger’s website. Tell him you want one of his great t-shirts!
- Big news about our $25,000 scholarship Keep Craft Alive initiative.
- All FHB podcast show notes: FineHomebuilding.com/podcast.
- Buy a shirt at KeepCraftAlive.org.
Here are the vermiculite photos the guys put up in the video version — click on the gallery button below: