I plan to build a poured concrete hearth and mantle for a wood stove and have a few questions. I’m a hobby carpenter and entertain myself improving our almost 100 year old home.
1. The hearth will be poured on an existing concrete slab and I’m wondering if I need to pin the new pour to the old in some fashion?
2. I’d like to pour it in segments. How do I connect the segments (bottom, back, sides, mantle)? Or, should the divisions be left as expansion joints?
3. What kind of concrete mix should I use?
4. How do I separate the pour from the wooden walls of this building? Or, can I just use the wall as the back of the form?
5. Can I pour the mantle in the same way concrete counters are formed and poured?
6. What have I left out that readers need to know in order to provide advice?
Thanks…John in Oregon